A good vanilla ice cream is the base of many frozen desserts. This easy vanilla ice cream recipe doesn’t require eggs or cooking, so it can go together quickly. You can turn this vanilla ice cream into tons of other flavors. Crumble some sandwich cookies into the finished product, toss in chocolate chips, or swirl the ice cream with a ribbon of caramel. There are tons of choices.
With normal ice cream recipes, you want to refrigerate your mixture before putting it in the ice cream freezer. However, since this no-cook vanilla ice cream can be put together in about a minute, the milk and cream should still be plenty cold. If you store the bowl of your ice cream maker in the freezer, you can have great homemade vanilla ice cream in about fifteen minutes.
Prep Time: 1 minute
Freeze Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 13 minutes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Whisk together the milk and granulated sugar.
- Gently stir in the heavy cream and vanilla.
- Freeze according to the directions of your ice cream maker.
- It’s easy to swap out the vanilla extract for vanilla bean, if you have one on hand. Take half a vanilla bean and use a paring knife to split the bean in half, lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds and add them and the pod to the cream, milk, and sugar. Refrigerate the mixture for at least thirty minutes (overnight is better), remove the pod, and freeze your ice cream as normal.
- You can use whatever kind of milk you have on hand, although whole milk will help keep your ice cream texture great while it is stored in the freezer. Most recently, I made it with 1% because it was what I had on hand, and it was great. It became slightly more icy two days later, but if I was going to use it all right away it would have been perfect.
- Don’t whip the mixture too much once you add the heavy cream. You don’t want to beat too much air into the mixture before it goes into the ice cream, or it will change the texture of the finished product. The ice cream maker will beat in plenty of air.
- This recipe can be made without using an ice cream maker. Check out these step-by-step directions that will show you how to freeze your ice cream without buying another small appliance.